Thursday, April 10, 2014

He is Risen! New CD by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir


I love Easter music. I love choral music. And so I was grateful to receive a copy of He is Risen! -- the latest album from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

I was even more thrilled when I saw that "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross" was one of the songs on the album. It's a favorite song of mine, so majestic and heart-stirring.

I wanted to include the lyrics of the song here:

1. When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of Glory died;
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

2. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
save in the death of Christ, my God;
all the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to his blood.

3. See, from his head, his hands, his feet,
sorrow and love flow mingled down.
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
or thorns compose so rich a crown.

4. Were the whole realm of nature mine,
that were an offering far too small;
love so amazing, so divine,
demands my soul, my life, my all.


"Christ the Lord is Ris'n Today" and "He is Risen!" are also such glorious hymns. The first hymn actually makes me think of a sacred Easter experience I had years ago; this hymn was a significant part of that tender mercy day. Easter to me is not just about Christ's victory over death, but His victory over everything.

That said, the message of the resurrection is something I feel like I can take for granted because I've known about it all my life. But I stop to really think about the wonder of it all, it really does take my breath away. Music like this helps me pause and ponder. I know the resurrection is real and I love how this album "shout[s]" the message out "in joyful voice" to the world.

The album also includes a perhaps lesser known song, In the Garden, as well as a Handel piece from the Messiah, "Worthy Is the Lamb That Was Slain." I didn't connect as much to those songs because they aren't as familiar or I don't have the personal experience with them, but they were still lovely.

I am hoping to get my daughter's input on this album as well. Stay tuned.

You can listen to snippets of each song on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir page.

And here is a video that gives some glimpses into the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment